Monday, August 11, 2008

Stuff

Today was a day of new stuff for me. I spent a very long time in the bowels of Hell today. It actually wasnt that long, it was about an hour and a half, but I had business to take care of at the DMV today. I have never had a pleasent experience at the DMV and today was no exception. In case there are any people that work for the DMV that read my blog that I don't know about, I dont mean to offend you, but every DMV employee that I have ever had the pleasure of doing business with has seemed to hate their own lives and want to take their displeasure out on me. After waiting for 25 minutes in the line to check in so I can get a number to wait in the real line, I honestly thought I would be there overnight and would have to go straight from there to work the next morning. As 15 minutes turned into 20 minutes and I was still not close to the front of the line, I began thinking of our illustrious governor who, you might remember, recently laid off all but 3 DMV employees who were split over the 127 DMV offices throughout the state. When I got to the front of the line to check in and it finally became my turn, the clerk (in a very gruff voice) said "NEXT, PLEASE!" Before I could even take a step toward her counter, she screamed again "NEXT, PLEASE!!!" The wait in the actual line wasn't that bad, I only had to wait another 40 minutes or so in a very packed DMV. The person who helped me finish my business at the DMV was angry, impatient, accusatory, rude, and when I finished my business, I felt like I had wronged her in some horrible way and owed her penance. It was worth all of it though, because I added a very cool feature to my car today.......










Also, Michelle and I bought a brand new, sealed in original box, stroller and car seat combo from a person on Craig's List who was selling it at half price. Once I has finished putting it together and was fiddling around with it, it hit me like a ton of bricks...I'm going to be a father! I have been thinking about it for 6 months now, I have said the phrase before, I read to the baby, I think of the baby, I love the baby, but it hadn't hit me until the stroller...in 13 weeks we will be adding 33.3% to our family. There will be a new life with his very own thoughts, emotions, needs, wants, who has a future full of potential and who will some day be an adult, and I will be responsible for that person. That is the most amazing blessing but also the most amazing responsibility. My son who isn't even born yet could be the president, or an astronought, or a great history teacher, or a nobel prize winner. And he is coming in 81 days! I can't wait!





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A few thoughts on your "stuff"...

1. You make me laugh all the time and I love you so much for that!

2. That's why I've always wanted to work at the DMV! I see it as an opportunity to spread a little cheer in a dark dark place.

3. I wouldn't say that you added a "cool" feature to your car, but it's definitely a "you" feature =)

4. The stroller certainly added a realness to the situation. Watching you stare at it silently for 5 minutes after putting it together was precious!

5. Just a note... this stroller/car seat is for Kevin's car. We are still very much in need of the one that we registered for at Babies R Us for my car. (hint hint)

6. I love that you love our son. I am so blessed to have such an amazing husband!