Friday, November 16, 2007

End of the semester

I have not posted for a while mostly because it is coming to the end of the semester and I have some projects that I need to finish. I need to create a major power point presentation on an adolescent featured somewhere in literature for my Adolescence class. I chose Catcher in the Rye. I also have to write a 10-page informal research paper on the suburbanization of America and how white Europeans forced minorities into the inner cities while they took control of the suburbs. And the most exciting project is a 20 page research paper on the shift from white indentured servitude to race slavery in seventeenth century Virginia. How exciting is that?!?! If you want to know more about this topic, you can just ask me. My thesis is that this change was facilitated by the shift from family farms to cash crops, specifically tobacco, in the Chesapeake which created a labor need that could not be filled by England’s indenture system and needed to be filled by a new labor system where the master owned not only the labor of the servant, but the person of the slave.
I am starting to take my research papers more seriously than I have in the past. One of my goals is to be published by the time I’m thirty and the good news about CSUF is that 90% of the professors who assign research papers will recommend them to historical journals if they are good enough. So, I am working on heavy research on these papers so I can hopefully get published sometime soon.

No comments: