Thursday, November 1, 2007

Police and Fire Fighters











These fires that have been ravaging southern california have got me thinking. These firemen who have been fighting these fires are true heroes in every sense of the word. Firemen are generally thought of as heroes. When you think of the LAFD through the past couple weeks, or of the NYFD on 9/11, you think of heroes. But do you think the same way when you think of police? When you think of the LAPD do you think of the brutality during the imigration rallies? When you think of police, do you think of donut-eating, stake-out-sitting, ticket-writing burdens? Maybe you don't, but I'm sure you know someone who will call a cop a pig whenever they see one. I think that police get a bad rap. My theory is there are two major things influencing this negative stereotype. The first is that police deal with people. When you deal with people, at times there are going to be a majosity of those people who do not like your actions. Fireman deal with nature and so dont have to deal with confrontations with people. The other, and more important, aspect is the effects of the media. The media is so quick to jump on a police scandal, but how often do you hear a positive report. When was the last time that the news reported about how police protect us on a daily basis. I think that firemen are true heroes, but I think that policemen should be considered heroes just as much as fireman

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree completely! But I would add teachers to the hero mix as well ;)