Monday, September 24, 2007

The Long Now

I am such a nerd. My job requirements are all involved with computers. In order to do my job all I need is a computer. All work is done on the computer, all communication is done through email, I am rarely on the phones. In order to help the day go by a little faster, I get to listen to headphones. My company took away headphone privileges a little while ago because there were a couple people who abused the privilege, but they brought them back about a month ago. I got so excited because I like to listen to lectures on my ipod. Isn’t that one of the nerdiest things you’ve ever heard?? I listen to lectures from professors at Berkeley and Yale. I listen to seminars on how to teach history. I listen to podcasts on the latest discoveries in Astronomy. Lately, I’ve been listening to a seminar series from a group called the Long Now Foundation. This is a secular organization that promotes, what they call, long term thinking. They think about the future as far as 10,000 years and try to promote responsible planning and use of resources. They have a completely atheist outlook (they feature speakers like Sam Harris) but they have a lot of interesting things to think about. You can check them out here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are a nerd. Good thing I like nerds ;)