Friday, January 25, 2008

1 down, 15 to go

I just finished the first week of my last semester last night. This is going to be the hardest semester so far. I am taking 15 units.
I am taking an online class called Teaching Literacy in Secondary Education. It does not sound the least bit appealing to me, but it is a pre-req to get into the Credentialing Program at CSUF.
On Tuesday afternoon, I am taking a class that is basically an undergraduate thesis. I have to write a guided 30-page paper on European Identities. I have to choose something that twentieth century Europeans can identify with such as nationalism in an increasingly de-nationalized EU or dealing with Islamic religiosity in secular Denmark, for example.
On Wednesday afternoon I am taking a class on urban history in medieval through twentieth century Europe. This is going to be heavy research and writing class (by the end of the semester, I will have written at least 80 pages for this class alone!) and is my first upper division cross-disciplinary class. This class utilizes methodologies from Geography, Sociology, Urban Planning, and History among many other disciplines.
On Thursday afternoon I am taking a class on the Roman Empire. This is the earliest period of history that I have studied so far and seems like it will be really fun. Luckily, I am able to supplement this class with a set of lectures from a class on the exact same subject at UC Berkley taught by Isabelle Pafford. I am able to listen to her lectures while at work, so that should be very nice to get two different sources for my instruction on this topic.
I have saved the best for last…
On Thursday evening I am taking a class on Ancient and Medieval Britain. It is such an amazingly broad topic (covering almost 1.5 millennia and all 4 major regions of Britain). Not only is the topic awesome, but the teacher is everything I could hope and dream for in an upper-division university professor. He is really strict and harsh and loads you with more work than you can handle, but this is only so he can weed out those who don’t have what it takes to be a historian and are majoring in history because “it’s the easiest one.” I am so excited for when I will be on the other side and have learned everything that he will have taught me. He is perhaps the only professor at CSUF that has what it takes to teach such a broad subject in 15 weeks. I don’t know why I haven’t taken him before for other topics.
So, it is now the last day of week 1 of the hardest 16 weeks (including finals week) of my life. Please wish me luck and if you don’t hear from me until May, its because I’m buried in a huge pile of books. I am so excited to be done and everyone who is reading these words is invited to my graduation party in May.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you don't hear from him until May, you're not alone =)