Monday, January 5, 2009

Ode to 2008.

How do I love thee, 2008? Let me count the ways.
Here are some of the highlights:

Work - I marked my 2 year anniversary with my company. My company then quickly proceeded to put itself on the market and almost went through a merger with its biggest competitor, but then declared bankruptcy after the merger fell through. They are currently looking for another buyer and management said that whether the company is bought out and we're all working for a new company or the company completely goes under and everyone is laid off, we will not be working for this company by the end of the first quarter of 2009.

School - I finally graduated. After a long (long) time I graduated with a bachelor's degree in history. I am now working towards my credential and graduate degree. They are two different programs so it should take me 5 years to finish both. I am very excited to work with my mentor prof. and I am already starting to put together ideas for a thesis topic.

Church - Michelle and I went through the classes and became official members of our church. Michelle continued to work in the nursery and I worked for the second year in the high school group.

Family - From my family, my brother graduated from mechanics school, one of my cousins got married, and two new members of Michelle's side were announced - Michelle's brother and sister-in-law are having twin boys. Now Eli will have some cousins his own age and gender to play with.

Home - This is the biggest change of all. We had our first child, Elias Paul McMurtry, in case there is anyone left in the world who hasn't heard. He was born 8 lbs, 5 ozs, 20 inches and (although I may have a bias) is the cutest kid in the world. He has turned my world upside down (in incredibly good, but also sometimes unexpected, ways). I have a whole new perspective on life and the hills that I am willing to die on have changed dramatically. I was able to take 8 weeks off of work and take that time to bond with him. It was amazing, but today was my first day back to work and it was not fun. I was getting used to the schedule that we set up for Eli and now I have shaken it up a little bit. This morning was the first morning that I woke up and got ready for work with a baby in the house. It was really weird and I was very aware the slightest sound that I made. I am really excited for the future with my beautiful, and newly expanded, family. Bring it on 2009!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You make me smile!