Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Contacts or Glasses?















I am having trouble deciding if I want to stay with contacts or glasses. I love the freedom of the contacts. My peripheral vision suffers with glasses. I can't do some things with glasses: I did paintball at mancamp and my glasses would not fit inside the masks they provided, so I had to take my glasses off. I couldn't see anything and wound up shooting my own team. With contacts I can look out of the corner of my eye and still see what I want to look at. With glasses I have to turn my whole head to look at something.

However, I have an astigmatism which glasses can correct but contact cannot. So I can see better in glasses than I can in contacts. Also, I have a strong aversion to poking myself in the eye. One would think that after ten years in contacts I would be able to put them in properly, but it is still a major production for me to try to put contacts in my eyes. Every time I see my finger coming straight for my eye, I can't help blinking. This causes me to sleep in my contacts way more than I am willing to admit and I'm afraid that I'm going to do some permanent damage to my eyes. My mom works as an optician and has told me horror stories about people sleeping in their contacts.

So, I'm torn. I just don't know what to do. Maybe I should train myself to be able to properly poke myself in the eye.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your new glasses!!!

Anonymous said...

In honor of this great question, I have worn my glasses today... that's right... in public and everything... I'll let you know my thoughts on the subject tonight.

Anonymous said...

After much deliberation... I have concluded that contacts are the better choice. It is worth the little extra time in the morning and at night for the freedom that comes with contacts. I want to be able to wear cheapo sunglasses whenever I want and to be able to look out the corner of my eye at any moment. Contacts are great!

Anonymous said...

I had the same dilemma a few years ago. I had this awesome brand new pair of Armani glasses, yet I also had a year's supply worth of Acuvue 2's or whatever I happened to be prescribed at the time.

I don't have an astigmatism or anything weird going on, but I used to paintball, airsoft, dirt track race, etc, so having glasses on just wasn't practical for me. I'm also one of those weirdos that will poke at my eyeball just to gross people out, and can put my contacts in without a mirror in about 5 seconds. The pain was, I keep very odd hours, sometimes being awake for 36 hour blocks with only catnaps. Catnaps + contacts = BAD.

After getting fed up with one too many dry eye incidents with a foggy contact lens practically glued to my eyeball, I went back to my optometrist. She prescribed me CibaVision's newer Night and Day contacts, so I could wear them for 30 consecutive days -and- nights. I guess they're made of a better, breathable, and longer lasting material so they don't dry out and shrivel onto your eyeball.

They were pricey. I paid about $400 for a year's supply, but I will tell you this much--my life is soooo much better. Occasionally I forgo the contacts and wear my -now- new burberry's with Transition lenses, but it's great being able to see clearly all the time.

Hey, I have to get all the benefits from my Vision insurance. :P