Tuesday, September 16, 2008

My Day Yesterday

Yesterday was one of the most interesting days I have had in a long time. I was on my way home from work around 3:00, just like every other day, and I round the corner on to my street and I notice that there are cars being stopped and turned around at a police blockade a few hundred feet down my street. When it is my turn to ask the police officer what's going on she tells me that they are investigating a "vicious crime scene." As she is telling me this I am looking down the street and notice several news vans, a couple fire engines, and tons of cop cars that appear to be on the street right in front of my house. So I ask if she can give me any more information as it looks like all the activity is happening right in front of my house. She said that all she can say is that they are investigating a vicious crime scene and that they are looking for bloody footprints. She then seems to have a spark of memory and she said "oh yeah, you can park and walk over there, we just dont want any cars over there." So, I went to the library and got myself a library card and checked out a couple books. When I got back, they were still investigating and it looked like a street fair with all the people who were walking around the street. At this point, I am freaking out because I am kind of an alarmist anyway, but I have a wife who is 8 months pregnant now and I want to make sure that she lives in a safe neighborhood. There is no payout at the end of this story because I don't know what happened. I heard someone (who was not a cop) say that a woman was stabbed to death in her apartment. This is the only official thing that I have been able to find about it so far.

The other interesting part of my day yesterday was Michelle and I went to our first birthing class last night. It was both extremely informative and extremely horrifying. There was a lot of talk of the mechanics of birth, and an especially large amount of talk about mucous plugs and effacing and other stuff like that. I still kind of don't believe that a human being, even if it is a baby, can get through a 10cm hole. And the instructor was so cavalier about the whole thing!!! She just casually went through the material like it was no big deal. This is a big deal people!!!!! I'm starting to hyperventilate...I need to start thinking about something else for a while...



**************UPDATE*****************
I just found this.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL! It was really funny to watch your face when they started showing pictures and videos =)

I did really enjoy the part where they taught us how to relax... "now imagine that your arm is very very heavy........"

Anonymous said...

I would also like to note that this incident did not occur in our complex, but near it...

Anonymous said...

He son-in-law,
Remember about 7 months ago I started to talk to you about the birthing process and you said, "No! Stop! I have plenty of time to learn about that. I am just not ready yet." Well, this is why I wanted to bring you gently into the knowledge and reality that your beatiful bride will be passing a watermelon out of her body in a very personal way. Be brave Sir Kevin! The nuts and bolts of the process are actually facinating. Just put your professor hat on. It's an adventure and at the end, YOU GET TO MEET YOUR SON! Now that you have seen what you and Michelle are about to do, you have new motivation to keep your beautiful bride on task with those excercises. The watermelon thing is a easier that way. ;]
Love you,
M O M