Thursday, September 25, 2008

Secularization of Knowledge


Until the modern age knowledge was largely produced, controlled, and distributed by priests, monks, and clerics. These people read, thought, and wrote for themselves and for the people. They absorbed and produced knowledge. Most people deferred to the priests, monks, and clerics when it came to knowledge. They accepted the teaching of the priests, monks, and clerics with little opposition. There was little independent thought by ordinary people. Whatever the priest, monk, or cleric said was accepted as true and there was no need to think that it was un-true because they spoke on behalf of God. The priests, monks, and clerics could say whatever they wanted and it would be accepted as God’s truth.

Today the part of the priest, monk, and cleric is played by the university professor and the expert. University professors and experts read, think, and write for themselves and for the people. University professors and experts absorb and produce knowledge. Most people today defer to the university professor and the expert when it comes to knowledge. The teachings of university professors and experts are accepted with little opposition. There is little independent thought by ordinary people. What university professors and experts say is accepted as true and there is no need to think that is in un-true because the professor and expert speak on behalf of Science. University professors and experts can say whatever they want and it will be accepted as Scientific truth.

I am saying this as I am struggling with a class where my world view is diametrically opposed to the professor’s world view. I am being told that what I believe is wrong and that I believe it only because I have been indoctrinated. If I do not believe the same thing that the professor believes then I am wrong because I am opposing ‘Science’. The professor is always right and any opposition has to be corrected to fall in line with the professor. This is the most serious confrontation I have ever had with a professor before, but the most fair. The professor is giving me full credit on my assignments while constantly telling me that my opinions are wrong. Hopefully the rest of the semester will be as fair as the beginning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If anyone can handle it, you can!

dad said...

major conflict with your beliefs as a christian don't be swayed by what the world thinks